Re: dep hell NOT with Trinity (was: TBird mail)

On 12/7/22 17:50, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 01:36:31AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
gene heskett composed on 2022-12-06 21:03 (UTC-0500):
I'd love to be able to install TDE, which would give me back the best
email agent linux ever had, kmail-3.5 but with all its bugs fixed, but
the first TDE package I select, generates over 300 hits of dependency
hell from synaptic.

Gene,

Just done this to check in a virtual machine. I concur with Felix.

Expert install of Debian 11.5 - standard - text only.
Deselect everything other than standard using tasksel at that stage.
Add the https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions /etc/apt/sources.list lines.

Add the GPG key using wget then

apt-get update ; apt-get install aptitude
aptitude install tde-trinity

and it just works. No drama and everything installed from Trinity.

568M / 700 and change packages?

apt/apt-get/aptitude are used for software installations here.

Thanks Felix for the instructions to try.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

And you trust aptitude to do that? Maybe 10 times I've looked at a system with aptitude, 5 times I've asked it to install something, and 4 times its gone wild removing other dependencies that got in its way, stripped the system so bad it wouldn't reboot. I wound up re-installing and losing everything because the installer insists on formatting everything. I've managed to get it mostly running despite the broken installer everybody else claims works fine, and have around 300 gigs of work I don't want to lose or re-invent on my 2t /home raid10. 20+ times I've re-installed debian 11 from scratch. 20+ times I've tried to get rid of orca and brltty, and 20+ times it would not reboot after killing them, stuck trying to find them. ow I've gotten rid of the aggravation of having my speakers yelling at me, doing a lousy job of pronouncing every key press. But since the middle of October its decided to sit silently, no disk activity, for 10 to 20 minutes before loading the bios or loading grub. Once it loaded grub, it normal. Memtest86 gives 32gigs of dram a clean bill of health.

That's a chance of loss I won't take until such time as I get another raid10 setup for amanda to give me a backup, and ATM that is about 3rd on my priority list. Today I'm half (easy part) done assembling a two trees saphire-5-plus kit so I've at least 1 working 3d printer to make parts for two other even bigger printers that I'm going to "tip the can pretty high" on, running a 60mm/sec printer at 600+mm/sec. One slow consumer grade 3d printer equals nearly a month to make one woodworkers vise screw I've designed, and I need to get that down to a week or less before it becomes affordable.

And at 88 yo, long term (30 years) type 2 diabetic & prostate concerns are telling me I'm running out of time. I thank those that have tried to help, but until I know more what the boot problem is, I can't help you or myself since I've not a clue whats going on.

Painted into a very small corner but hanging on.

Thank you all, take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis