Re: Synaptic on Debian 11.3 fails to install "kate"

On Wed, 7 Dec 2022 13:16:58 -0600
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> > A a general rule, confirm. It can't hurt (other than the time it
> > takes) and might help a lot. You should use the same tool to update
> > that you use to upgrade.
>
> Does synaptic not use the same lists as APT? I thought it was
> merely a frontend (some screens of which look very like the
> pre-APT dselect from the last century).

If by lists you mean sources.list and sources.list.d/*, I believe so
(and have no evidence to the contrary).

As for synaptic being a front end, someone else will have to answer
that. I understand that apt and aptitude have different algorithms for
calculating upgrades and dependencies.

So it is quite possible I am being over-cautious here.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/