Re: Synaptic on Debian 11.3 fails to install "kate"

On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 08:07:31AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm running Debian 11.3 with MATE desktop.
> When I attempt to use Synaptic to install "kate" it responds:

As suggested before, it is not a bad idea to keep up to date. The latest
version of Bullseye is 11.5 and 11.6 will be released over the weekend
of 17th December or so.

I would suggest strongly that you get yourself a DVD image and mount it
using apt-cdrom add to add it and then update from it if you don't want
to connect a particular machine to the 'Net.

Likewise, 9.13 is very definitely oldoldstable amd beyond normal security
support other than via ELTS. Bookworm will begin to freeze within a couple
of months on 12th January 2023 or so: at that point, the clock is very
definitely ticking for 9.13.

I do, however, appreciate that you have very particular personal requirements
so this is just the standard warning to keep up to date with bugfixes,
security patches, updates to and removals of packages in current distributions
- a patched machine is generally to your (and everyone else's) benefit since
we can more readily help you.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater