Re: /boot/grub/grub.cfg menu entries

On Wed 07 Dec 2022 at 00:14:48 (-0600), Intense Red wrote:
> > To re-enable this, set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false in /etc/default/grub.
>
>    Thanks! But I did that, ran update-grub which reported:
>
> > Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
> > Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new
> boot entries.
> > Found Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) on /dev/sdg1
>
>    Which is all way cool -- that sounds like it's going to do what I want.
>
>    But on reboot, I'm left with my plain old menu listing only the existing
> menu entry of booting off /dev/sdf1.

You have two systems on your machine, with two /boot directories,
two grub.cfg files and so on—one in each system.

However, when you boot, the decision as to which grub.cfg to read
is made at one level higher, by the BIOS (which just picks which
disk it considers primary) or the UEFI (which reads the contents
of the ESP, which lists the priority order).

So it's quite likely that you could be busily updating grub.cfg
on one system, but BIOS/UEFI is selecting the other system's
grub.cfg to enact.

There are several ways of dealing with this, depending on
at what level you want to make your choice of which OS to run.

Cheers,
David.