Re: problem getting debian live to run

 On Saturday, December 3, 2022, 11:22:27 PM EST, L Dimov <lddimov@yahoo.com> wrote:

 On Thursday, December 1, 2022, 10:12:21 PM GMT+1, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

 On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 08:43:29PM +0000, L Dimov wrote:
>    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 03:28:33 PM EST, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 06:58:11PM +0000, L Dimov wrote:
> > I am trying to run debian stable (11.5) live on a new Dell XPS laptop from a USB drive. After the Debian logo displays for a bout a minute, I get this text:
> >
> > DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
> > thunderbolt 0-0: reading DROM failed
> > BusyBox v1.30.1 (Debian 1:1.30.1-6+b3) built-in shell (ash)
> > Enter 'help' for list of built-in commans.
> > (initramsfs) _
> >
> > I tried it multiple times, including first formatting the USB as a FAT32. None of that helped.
> >
> > Any help in getting this party started will be greatly appreciated!
> > Thanks!
> > Luben

Two things:

I'd suggest that you try using the unofficial .iso that includes the firmware.
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.5.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/ - and pick your desktop from under there.

Andrew, Thomas, and David:
Thank you for the suggestions.
The suggestions at https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html did not help, unfortunately.
I also got the same result with live-nonfree. I am however able to get Linux Mint to run live (tho I didn't install it because I want Debian), so I think it is a Debian issue. I tried Debian testing as well - also a no-go. I also tried installing (rather than running live) Debian stable and testing and with and without non-free, to no avail: during installation I get these error messages:

"No kernel modules were found. This probably is due to a mismatch between the kernel used by this version of the installer and the kernel version available in the archive. You should make sure that your installation image is up-to-date, or - if that's the case, try a different mirror, preferably deb.debian.org"

and later:

"Software RAID not available. The current kernel doesn't seem to support software RAID (MD) devices. This should be solved by loading the necessary modules"
as well as:
"The current kernel doesn't support the Logical Volume Manager. You may need to load the lvm-mod module."

Based on all that, sounds like lack of current hardware support in Debian for this machine because it is so new? I have the output of lshw, if that would help.
Thanks,

SOLUTION: IN THE END, THE INSTALLATION WORKED OUT AFTER THE FOLLOWING:
in the BIOS/UEFI, under Storage, change the selection from "ACH/NVMe" to "RAID on"