Re: problem getting debian live to run

On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 08:43:29PM +0000, L Dimov wrote:
>    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 03:28:33 PM EST, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

[...]

> > Exactly how did you copy the image onto the USB stick - what command did
> > you use and did you wait until it had copied fully?
> >
> > Andy Cater
>
> Andy, I did wait till it was done indeed. I copied the image to the USB with:
> dd if=/home/luben/Downloads/debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-gnome.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=8M; sync
> I tried it without the:
>
> bs=8M; sync
> as well.

We don't know whether the copy was a problem. The `sync' is important,
though, and it is very important to wait until it finishes. Otherwise
the data may be in RAM, still waiting to be pushed out to the stick.

The `bs=8M' may or may not make the copy faster (in my experience,
it does, but not by a spectacular amount; my very incomplete tests
show a very flat maximum roughly in the abouts of 1M).

You can also ditch the sync and let dd do it. I recommend

  dd if=<your image> of=/dev/sdb bs=1M oflag=sync status=progress

(the `status=progress' gives you some feedback on how far the copy
is, the `oflag=sync' makes that the write is synchronized, so you
don't have to wait for the sync at the end).

Cheers
--
tomás