Re: Detailed Leafpad manual [not just manpage]?

Richard Owlett wrote:
Andreas Rönnquist wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 05:29:58 -0600,
Richard Owlett<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

I wish to document a personal project.The desired format will resemble
the outline for term papers we wrote in school in the 50's. Except
some items may be a short paragraph or two long.

I did a web search for text editors with an auto-indent feature.
The only one I recognized was Leafpad. But I couldn't find appropriate
documentation or "howto". Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions for a basic text editor in the Debian repository
with an auto-indent feature. I'm not interested in a full blown word
processor.

TIA

It seems leafpad is obsolete and not maintained any longer (It is only
available in Debian Stretch).

If you could try something else, I would try mousepad (which actually
is a fork of leafpad).

https://packages.debian.org/mousepad
https://docs.xfce.org/apps/mousepad/start

That page suggests it's what I'm looking for.
I attempted to install it on my old machine [has a large external monitor] but got a "temporary connection failure" message.
Will try it again this afternoon.
Thanks

As I posted earlir today, mousepad lacks ability to set a righthand margin for a line to fold at.

If you would be ready to try something new and are not afraid of
massive amount of settings (and thereby possibilities) but still
GTK-based, I would try SciTE.

https://packages.debian.org/scite

(Yes, I am biased regarding SciTE, since I'm one of the Debian package
maintainers).

I looked at that page. I'm not trying to edit a program. I'm editing straight text and want lines that wrap at right margin to start a fresh line at current indent level. I didn't spot that capability.

Thanks.

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists@gusnan.se
andreas@ronnquist.net