Detailed Leafpad manual [not just manpage]?

I wish to document a personal project.The desired format will resemble the outline for term papers we wrote in school in the 50's. Except some items may be a short paragraph or two long.

I did a web search for text editors with an auto-indent feature.
The only one I recognized was Leafpad. But I couldn't find appropriate documentation or "howto". Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions for a basic text editor in the Debian repository with an auto-indent feature. I'm not interested in a full blown word processor.

TIA