Re: howto install Debian on software RAID1 when UEFI?

Hello,

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 02:32:06PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> If you partition both disks to have an EFI partition at the beginning, then
> a RAID partition, then 2 x 1G swap at the end.
>
> Then use the RAID manager to set up RAID1 and LVM over the top. I'm unsure how
> you would install GRUB to the second disk of the RAID - it might be that you'd
> need to restart once the install is complete, use the rescue option and
> specifically install GRUB on the second disk of the RAID.

Do note that OP has not made clear whether they want btrfs on top of MD
RAID-1, or btrfs with its own "raid1" data profile (which is not at all
the same as MD RAID-1 and isn't installed the same way).

I'm not sure whether you can set up multi-device btrfs in the installer,
though if you can't it would be easy to just install to one device, add
the second device afterwards and then do a balance to split the data
equally.

Also OP should note that whichever way you go, the EFI System Partition
technically can't go in any form of software RAID, so at the moment you
have to have two of them and manage them individually somehow:

    "Redundancy for EFI System Partition: what do people do in 2020?"

    (same answers now in 2022)

Cheers,
Andy