Re: howto install Debian on software RAID1 when UEFI?

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 02:49:28PM +0100, hw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the Debian installer is horrible.  It won't let me install on software RAID1 on
> a server with an UEFI BIOS.  I can't find any good guide about that, either.

Hi hw

You might want to *start* with using the expert install - found under the
advanced menu option. That will give you more control, including advanced
partitioning.

> I want root on brtfs with RAID1.  How do I get Debian installed?

I'd suggest that you partition one disk with "all files in one partition"
as a test run to see the sizes you'll need and then rerun the partitioner.

>From memory, I think you end up with something like an EFI partition of 512M,
a root partition of (the rest - 1G) and then a 1G swap.

If you partition both disks to have an EFI partition at the beginning, then
a RAID partition, then 2 x 1G swap at the end.

Then use the RAID manager to set up RAID1 and LVM over the top. I'm unsure how
you would install GRUB to the second disk of the RAID - it might be that you'd
need to restart once the install is complete, use the rescue option and
specifically install GRUB on the second disk of the RAID.

> The graphical version crashes with a kernel panic when booting from an USB
> stick, so I need to use the normal installer.

Then you have wider problems than just installation, perhaps?

> There's even not a way to select RAID1 for btrfs.  What an anachronism ...

You do know that this is a general purpose installer that covers 12 or so
filesystem types and allows for flexibility?

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater