Re: weird directory entry on ZFS volume (Re: else or Debian (Re: ZFS performance (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?)))

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 06:54:31PM +0100, hw wrote:
> Ah, yes.  I tricked myself because I don't have hd installed,

It's just a symlink to hexdump.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jan 20  2022 /usr/bin/hd -> hexdump

unicorn:~$ dpkg -S usr/bin/hd
bsdextrautils: /usr/bin/hd
unicorn:~$ dpkg -S usr/bin/hexdump
bsdextrautils: /usr/bin/hexdump

> It's an ancient Gentoo

Ahhhh.  Anyway, from the Debian man page:

       -C, --canonical
              Canonical  hex+ASCII display.  Display the input offset in hexa‐
              decimal, followed by sixteen space-separated, two-column,  hexa‐
              decimal  bytes, followed by the same sixteen bytes in %_p format
              enclosed in '|' characters.  Invoking the program as hd  implies
              this option.

Why on earth the default format of "hexdump" uses that weird 16-bit
little endian nonsense is beyond me.