Re: else or Debian (Re: ZFS performance (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?))

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 05:54:00AM +0100, hw wrote:
> ls -la
> insgesamt 5
> drwxr-xr-x  3 namefoo namefoo    3 16. Aug 22:36 .
> drwxr-xr-x 24 root    root    4096  1. Nov 2017  ..
> drwxr-xr-x  2 namefoo namefoo    2 21. Jan 2020  ?
> namefoo@host /srv/datadir $ ls -la '?'
> ls: Zugriff auf ? nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> namefoo@host /srv/datadir $
>

> This directory named ? appeared on a ZFS volume for no reason and I can't access
> it and can't delete it.  A scrub doesn't repair it.  It doesn't seem to do any
> harm yet, but it's annoying.
>
> Any idea how to fix that?

ls -la might not be showing you the true name.  Try this:

printf %s * | hd

That should give you a hex dump of the bytes in the actual filename.

If you misrepresented the situation, and there's actually more than one
file in this directory, then use something like this instead:

shopt -s failglob
printf '%s\0' ? | hd

Note that the ? is *not* quoted here, because we want it to match any
one-character filename, no matter what that character actually is.  If
this doesn't work, try ?? or * as the glob, until you manage to find it.

If it turns out that '?' really is the filename, then it becomes a ZFS
issue with which I can't help.