Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?

Curt (12022-11-10):
> Maybe it's a question of intent more than anything else. I thought RAID
> was intended for a server scenario where if a disk fails, you're down
> time is virtually null, whereas as a backup is intended to prevent data
> loss.

Maybe just use common sense. RAID means your data is present on several
drives. You can just deduce what it can help for:

one drive fails → you can replace it immediately, no downtime

one drive fails → the data is present elsewhere, no data loss

several¹ drive fail → downtime and data loss²

1: depending on RAID level
2: or not if you have backups too

>	RAID isn't ideal for the latter because it doesn't ship the saved
> data off-site from the original data (or maybe a RAID array is
> conceivable over a network and a distance?).

It is always a matter of compromise. You cannot duplicate your data
off-site at the same rate as you duplicate it on a second local drive.

That means your off-site data will survive an EMP, but you will lose
minutes / hours / days of data prior to the EMP. OTOH, RAID will not
survive an EMP, but it will prevent all data loss caused by isolated
hardware failure.

--
  Nicolas George