Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?

Am 08.11.2022 um 05:31 schrieb hw:
>> That's only one point.
> What are the others?
>
>>  And it's not really some valid one, I think, as
>> you do typically not run into space problems with one single action
>> (YMMV). Running multiple sessions and out-of-band deduplication between
>> them works for me.
> That still requires you to have enough disk space for at least two full backups.
> I can see it working for three backups because you can deduplicate the first
> two, but not for two.  And why would I deduplicate when I have sufficient disk
> space.

Your wording likely confuses 2 different concepts:

Deduplication avoids storing identical data more than once.
whereas
Redundancy stores information on more than one place on purpose to avoid
loos of data in case of havoc.
ZFS can do both, as it combines the features of a volume manager with
those of a filesystem and a software RAID.( I am using zfsonlinux since
its early days, for over 10 years now, but without dedup. )

In the past, i used shifting/rotating external backup media for that
purpose, because, as the saying goes: RAID is NOT a backup! Today, i
have a second server only for the backups, using zfs as well, which
allows for easy incremental backups, minimizing traffic and disk usage.

but you should be clear as to what you want: redundancy or deduplication?

just my 2 cents
DdB