Re: else or Debian (Re: ZFS performance (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?))

On Thu, 2022-11-10 at 10:34 +0100, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
> Am Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 04:46:12AM +0100 schrieb hw:
> > On Wed, 2022-11-09 at 18:26 +0100, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
> > > Am Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 06:11:34PM +0100 schrieb hw:
> > > [...]
> [...]
> > >

> > Why would partitions be better than the block device itself?  They're like
> > an
> > additional layer and what could be faster and easier than directly using the
> > block devices?
>
>  Using the block device is no issue until you have a mirror or so.
>  In case of a mirror ZFS will use the capacity of the smallest drive.

But you can't make partitions larger than the drive.

>  I have read that a for example 100GB disk might be slightly larger
>  then 100GB. When you want to replace a 100GB disk with a spare one
>  which is less larger than the original one the pool will not fit on
>  the disk and the replacement fails.

Ah yes, right!  I kinda did that a while ago for spinning disks that might be
replaced by SSDs eventually and wanted to make sure that the SSDs wouldn't be
too small.  I forgot about that, my memory really isn't what it used to be ...

>  With partitions you can specify the space. It does not hurt if there
>  are a few MB unallocated. But then the partitions of the diks have
>  exactly the same size.

yeah