Re: else or Debian (Re: ZFS performance (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?))

Am Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 06:11:34PM +0100 schrieb hw:

Hi hw,

> On Wed, 2022-11-09 at 14:29 +0100, didier gaumet wrote:
> > Le 09/11/2022 à 12:41, hw a écrit :
> > [...]
> > > In any case, I'm currently tending to think that putting FreeBSD with ZFS on
> > > my
> > > server might be the best option.  But then, apparently I won't be able to
> > > configure the controller cards, so that won't really work.  And ZFS with
> > > Linux
> > > isn't so great because it keeps fuse in between.
> >
> > I am really not so well aware of ZFS state but my impression was that:
> > - FUSE implementation of ZoL (ZFS on Linux) is deprecated and that,
> > Ubuntu excepted (classic module?), ZFS is now integrated by a DKMS module
>
> Hm that could be.  Debian doesn't seem to have it as a module.
>
> > - *BSDs integrate directly ZFS because there are no licences conflicts
> > - *BSDs nowadays have departed from old ZFS code and use the same source
> > code stack as Linux (OpenZFS)
> > - Linux distros don't directly integrate ZFS because they generally
> > consider there are licences conflicts. The notable exception being
> > Ubuntu that considers that after legal review the situation is clear and
> > there is no licence conflicts.
>
> Well, I'm not touching Ubuntu.  I want to get away from Fedora because of their
> hostility and that includes Centos since that has become a derivative of it.
> FreeBSD has ZFS but can't even configure the disk controllers, so that won't
> work.

If I understand you right you mean RAID controllers?
According to my knowledge ZFS should be used without any RAID
controllers. Disks or better partions are fine.

> I don't want to go with Gentoo because updating is a nightmare to the
> point where you suddenly find yourself unable to update at all because they
> broke something.  Arch is apparently for machosists, and I don't want
> derivatives, especially not Ubuntu, and that leaves only Debian.  I don't want
> Debian either because when they introduced their brokenarch, they managed to
> make it so that NVIDIA drivers didn't work anymore with no fix in sight and
> broke other stuff as well, and you can't let your users down like that.  But
> what's the alternative?
>
> However, Debian has apparently bad ZFS support (apparently still only Gentoo
> actually supports it), so I'd go with btrfs.

I have no knowledge about the status of ZFS on Linux distributions,
just about FreeBSD.

> Now that's gona suck because I'd
> have to use mdadm to create a RAID5 (or use the hardware RAID but that isn't fun
> after I've seen the hardware RAID refusing to rebuild a volume after a failed
> disk was replaced) and put btrfs on that because btrfs doesn't even support
> RAID5.
>
> Or what else?

Kind regards,
Christoph