Re: Helium [was: t-bird screwing up]

On 11/2/22 01:07, David Wright wrote:
On Tue 01 Nov 2022 at 06:49:09 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 06:32:17PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

I think, but don't know for sure, that they were also helium filled drives,
a guaranteed disaster.

They used the helium to make the heads fly lower, and when the helium leaked
out, and air leaked in,
Possible.

the heads flew too high to read the disk. I don't know where Seagate
recruited the engineers who thought
up that idea,

Whatever, even I with an 8th grade diploma, knows you cannot keep helium
anyplace for very long. Put it in a monel metal
bottle with walls an inch thick and its molecules's are so small that 10% of
it is gone in 6 or 7 hours.
So the He cylinders that we used after a few months in storage
really contained nothing at all!
We had such large bottles at Stellardyne Labs, in Sandy Eggo in the early 1960 time frame, used to test the ullage pressure regulators that kept the Atlas from collapsing under its own weight when it was fully fueled and ready to give John Glenn his first orbital ride.  The procedure for the end of the night shift was to pump it all into this bank of bottles with a huge cardox 6 stage compressor in the back yard, putting them at around 7200 psi. All recorded in an electronic log on rolls of graphic printer paper.

These bottles had monel walls about 2" thick, 10 feet tall, a dozen of  them. Pipes to/from were about 3" in
diameter, monel with a 1" bore.

8 hours later when the day shift clocked in, those bottles were down to 5800 lbs. That place used 95% of the US production of Helium at the time, with a new truckload at about $100k worth of helium nominally 2 x a
week to keep it operational.

I ran the recorders that logged the tests on those pressure regulators for several months. I was that same year, a bench tech at Oceanographic Engineering with a backyard dock right on the bay, building the tv cameras that were on the navy's Trieste submersible when it went to the bottom of the mohole. So my fingerprints were all over those 2 cameras which worked well at 18,000 psi 37k feet down . So I have been there, and done that in
what most would call pretty exotic places.

I spent the last 18+ years of my working life keeping the local CBS affiliate on the air, without help other than min wage tx operators about 80% of that time. The only stuff that got shipped to the factory when it broke was stuff they didn't supply manual's on for proprietary reasons. I did all the rest. The work was fun, sometimes the people weren't. One girl who was legendarily hard on news cameras was eventually fired, but I wasn't fire-able. And I have been accused of walking on electronic water several times. To me, its a chuckle, goes with the territory.
And these
jerks thought they could seal it up in a drive housing 1/16" thick?
The operative word is seal, not the thickness of the monel walls.
Seal—and no cracks.
You still don't get it, the helium molecule is so small it wiggles thru a steel walls  huge molecules
like they were a layer of felt. Monel alloy is denser but it still leaks.
This is only a half-truth. You know what goes out faster than helium?
Vacuum. And there was a whole glorious epoch in electronics which did
rely on keeping vacuum "in". You should have some fond memories of
that.

I do, and there are still places where a vacuum tube is still the best way to do the job.
To be fair, most vacuum tubes aren't bathed in helium, but air, and
then only at a one atmosphere differential pressure. A gas cylinder
might be as high as 500 atmospheres.

And vacuum tubes do contain a getter to deal with outgassing, which
will help mitigate slight leaks.
Or, in the case of a high power beam tube such as the now old technology klystron, where the magnetically focused electron beam catches and carries the occasional gas molecule, and carries it to the collector bucket, a huge copper funnel with at least 70 gallons of pure water a minute to cool it, the gas hitting the copper so hard its buried and takes weeks to escape back into the vacuum. They were very expensive, and I have tested more than one and found it gassy but as long as it didn't arc-over, I could apply the beam power slowly and watch the body current fall over the next few hours until it was making 90% power out of a tube a station in New Orleans had starved for coolant and burnt the paint off the collector bucket, and sold it to us for 10k$.  All while 4 state engineers with EE's on the wall were claiming it wouldn't work as it was bent in shipment from bad repacking. I simply bent the magnetic
field to match.

To me, they didn't understand the physics involved including E=M*C*C, I did and do. They should have sued the school that issued that EE for a tuition refund for not teaching them right.  Einsteins theory ought to be the first thing they teach, not skipped, Its effects on the transit time of any vacuum tube should NOT be a puzzle by the time they've a diploma to hang on the wall. My diploma isn't an EE, but a CET. And it has got me every job I've applied for since 1972. I saw the announcement of the final test in the paper, walked in the door with my $20 to sit for the test, made 2 trips to the john as I was down with that seasons flu, and still handed the test papers back to the prof, with an expected 4 hours to do it, in 45 minutes. Multiple choice, the prof laid the answer stencil on it and saw a sea of black he hadn't seen in 5 years of teaching that course, I was the first to pass that test. I didn't say it, but he was in way over
his head, trying to teach the subject.
Cheers,
David.
Take care and stay well, David.