Helium [was: t-bird screwing up]

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 06:32:17PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

> I think, but don't know for sure, that they were also helium filled drives,
> a guaranteed disaster.
>
> They used the helium to make the heads fly lower, and when the helium leaked
> out, and air leaked in,

Possible.

> the heads flew too high to read the disk. I don't know where Seagate
> recruited the engineers who thought
> up that idea,
>
> Whatever, even I with an 8th grade diploma, knows you cannot keep helium
> anyplace for very long. Put it in a monel metal
> bottle with walls an inch thick and its molecules's are so small that 10% of
> it is gone in 6 or 7 hours.  And these
> jerks thought they could seal it up in a drive housing 1/16" thick?

This is only a half-truth. You know what goes out faster than helium?
Vacuum. And there was a whole glorious epoch in electronics which did
rely on keeping vacuum "in". You should have some fond memories of
that.

That doesn't mean that Seagate didn't botch the implementation, perhaps
especially in your batch, mind you.

This folks [1] do some assessment three years after they started having
helium drives in their mix and the results are not as clear cut as yours.

I tend to trust them, since as a cloud storage provider, they go through
more hard drives in a year than we both could have, had we started at
the beginning of our lives. The cool part about them is that they keep
a tab on their failure rates and /publish/ them, for all of us to see.

Cheers

[1] https://www.backblaze.com/blog/helium-filled-hard-drive-failure-rates/