Re: Boxed Distributions

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.

On Tue, 1 Nov 2022, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 02:24:25AM -0400, Joe Roberts II wrote:
> > Dear Debian Friends,
> >
> > I was hopeful that you guys can point me in the right direction on where to
> > recieve boxes distributions of Debian.
> >
> > Is there any way you guys can put me on a distribution list for the
> > beautiful boxed distributions for Debian? ?
> >

> Debian hasn't produced boxed distributions. The nearest I can
> suggest is that you contact one of the vendors from here who
> can supply CD/DVD media (or, more usually these days, maybe
> a USB stick that is bootable.)
>
> A full Debian distribution would be 40 DVDs so many vendors supply
> the first one or two DVDs only. Some vendors supply the equivalent
> of the library case you'd get for a two DVD film.
>
> https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
>
> > I respect the fact Debian stands for excellence and hard work and would
> > love to see the boxed distros in my area. Thank you guys kindly. I left my
> > address / email / and phone if you decide to email me or call me. I would
> > love to have a boxed distribution of all great Debian releases.
> >
> > You guys are awesome ?
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Joe Roberts II
> >
> > Address
> > Joe Roberts II
> > 2075 Browns Fork Rd
> > Hazard, KY 41701
> >
> > Phone - 1-606-335-8099

Disks may not be a good choice since boxed distributions with disks do
arrive with broken disks.  If the vendor packs professionally you should
be okay though.  Putting a plastic box of disks inside a cardboard box is
not professional packing.  Bubble wrap can help insulate disks from shock
and breakage though.  So if a vendor is to be used at all, find out how
they pack and ship the product before buying.  Popped popcorn around a
disk box inside a shipping box would work well too.