Re: How to can make a partition in my hard disk ?

On 20/10/22 07:58, Bret Busby wrote:
On 20/10/22 06:57, William Torrez Corea wrote:

    <jdashiel@panix.com <mailto:jdashiel@panix.com>
     >> <mailto:jdashiel@panix.com <mailto:jdashiel@panix.com>>> wrote:
     >>
     >>     This is likely inaccurate information.
     >>     What output returns when you run:
     >>     lsblk /dev/sda?
     >>     First requirement for a new partition is available space.
     >>
     >>
     >> I have the following output:
     >>
     >> NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
     >> sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk
     >> ├─sda1   8:1    0 922.7G  0 part /
     >> └─sda2   8:2    0   8.8G  0 part [SWAP]
     >>
     >> I have 770.83 GB free memory
     >> --
     >>
     >> With kindest regards, William.
     >>
     >> ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
     >> ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
     >> ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org <https://www.debian.org>
    <https://www.debian.org <https://www.debian.org>>
     >> ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀
     >>
     >>
     >
     > How much RAM does the computer have?
     >
     > I would be inclined to use gparted to resize the partitions; you
    only
     > need, at most, 32GB for /  and you should have a separate /home
     > partition, and, you should have (I believe) a 32GB swap partition.
     >
     > Is the HDD, MBR or GPT?
     >
     > ..
     > Bret Busby
     > Armadale
     > West Australia
     > (UTC+0800)

    What do you get, if you run
    du -h /home
    ?

    ..
    Bret Busby
    Armadale
    West Australia
    (UTC+0800)

39G /home
7.7 GiB memory

What command gives this information (HDD, MBR or GPT)?

See https://explorelinux.com/check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-in-linux/
also
https://askubuntu.com/questions/387351/how-can-i-detect-whether-my-disk-is-using-gpt-or-mbr-from-a-terminal

(from the second one, so that you can understand a difference between the two;)
"
    If you use an MS-DOS partition table (or MBR), you can only have up to four primary/extended partitions.

    If you use a GUID partition table (GPT) with default settings, you can have up to 128 partitions. (all primary partitions)
"

follow the steps for the gdisk command.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
(UTC+0800)

As you have only 8GB RAM (which, I believe, is not enough RAM, nowadays, and, I believe that an i7CPU should have at least 32GB RAM), I believe that you need a swap partition of 32GB.

I will be away from my computer, for several hours, now, but, what I suggest, is that you copy your home directory to a 64GB USB thumb drive (or, to an external USB SSD, if you have one with free space), and, that you do a new, clean install of Debian, with a 32GB partition for / , a 32GB swap partition, a 64GB partition for /home, and, split the remaining free space, into partitions, named dataxx (where xx is the numbers from one to n), and, if you have a GPT hard drive, for each data partition to be 64GB, or, if you have an MBR hard drive, for the data partitions to be logical partitions (from memory, on an MBR drive, you are allowed four primary partitions, and, any additional partitions, have to be logical partitions, and, a limit applies to the number of logical partitions allowed.

Each partition, apart from the swap partition, should be formatted at ext4, with journalling, for recovery.

I can explain this, later, if needed, but, this is the path of what I am suggesting, to make the best use of your resources.

An important thing, is, with only 8GB RAM, I believe that you ned 32GB of swap partition.

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia