Re: debian freezing

On Mon 17 Oct 2022 at 13:05:14 (+0200), Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> Since I installed Debian11, it happens from time to time (generally
> when I leave the system unattended), that everything freezes:
>
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> I found on several blogs some silly recommendations, involving typing
> something. I say "silly" because in that case in I can't do anything:
>
> neither with the keyboard nor the mouse
>
> when I say "frozen" it means "frozen" (may-be "dead" would be a better
> word, as the computer doesn't answer to ping)
>
> and the only thing I can do is reboot, being after that obliged to
> re-install.
>
> I tried running the screensaver,but the problem remained.
>
> Has anybody a solution?

Is this the same machine where the file /usr/bin/pulseaudio kept
disappearing from the filesystem, and you had to keep reinstalling
it (just pulseaudio, IIRC)?

That doesn't give much confidence in the hardware.

You wrote sometime ago, "on my laptop". Assuming that means you have
more than one machine, which is this? You could generate and copy a
file of diagnostic information to the other machine each minute
(incorporating a timestamp in the filename). It might not help if
everything falls over together.

My only other advice would be to check out the sleep states in the
CMOS, and errors in dmesg concerning the ACPI. There might be
something that bullseye is capable of using, that buster didn't,
and it just doesn't work correctly on this machine, and so it
falls into an unwakeable slumber.

Cheers,
David.