Re: debian freezing

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 13:05:14 +0200
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I installed Debian11, it happens from time to time (generally
> when I leave the system unattended), that everything freezes:
>
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> I found on several blogs some silly recommendations, involving typing
> something. I say "silly" because in that case in I can't do anything:
>
> neither with the keyboard nor the mouse

Ah, the good old 'Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue' trouble.

> when I say "frozen" it means "frozen" (may-be "dead" would be a
> better word, as the computer doesn't answer to ping)
>
> and the only thing I can do is reboot, being after that obliged to
> re-install.

As others have said, it shouldn't be necessary. If your computer fails
to reboot after the problem, there is the way to begin troubleshooting.
I think you have to be fairly unlucky to get a file vital to operation
damaged in a crash.

> I tried running the screensaver,but the problem remained.
>
> Has anybody a solution?

As the others have said, hardware is the most likely problem. Some
component being more stressed than with previous versions, some new
driver with a bug, some item being used it a way that it wasn't in the
last version, etc.

Having said that, my netbook occasionally doesn't wake up after
suspend, in fact it never goes to sleep properly. The computer's status
LED stays at 'run' on suspend, does not change to 'standby', and nothing
ever works again. Only recoverable by use of the Big Red Switch, which
these days is just a matter of holding down the power button. Boring.
But this occurrence is rare enough that it's not easily investigated
(whoever said 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results' had never had to repair an intermittent
fault. Nor rolled dice, either, despite also having said 'God does not
play dice').

I doubt that you will find the logs useful. When this has happened to
me, the logs just stopped at the crash, they never recorded anything
useful just before. Sorry I can't be of more help, but this kind of
thing is very rare these days, even with Windows, so there's not really
a general solution, or even a likely way to troubleshoot.

One long shot: it's worth opening up and clearing out any dust you
find, Debian 11 might just be stressing the CPU a little more, enough
to cause thermal trouble in something else due to increased heat. In
that case, the CPU should detect the higher temperature and slow down,
so it probably isn't that which is failing. If it's a desktop, it's
worth reseating all the connectors, which is also worth doing with a
laptop but is usually much more difficult.

--
Joe