Re: debian freezing

Le 17/10/2022 à 13:05, Pierre Frenkiel a écrit :
Since I installed Debian11, it happens from time to time (generally when I leave the system unattended), that everything freezes:

keyboard and mouse.

I found on several blogs some silly recommendations, involving typing something. I say "silly" because in that case in I can't do anything:

neither with the keyboard nor the mouse

when I say "frozen" it means "frozen" (may-be "dead" would be a better word, as the computer doesn't answer to ping)

and the only thing I can do is reboot, being after that obliged to re-install.

I tried running the screensaver,but the problem remained.

Has anybody a solution?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Pierre Frenkiel

Hello, the issue you describe is very often hardware specific, so giving as many information as possible will increase the possibility to "ring a bell" with someone on this list. The most common I have seen are bugs in some CPU sleep state, graphic driver that crash and put the graphic server in an irrecoverable state and lock up the GPU. Huge memory leak in a program can also lead to what you describe, if the kernel oom doesn't kick in or does but kills an essential part of the session.

Did you try to look into your system logs at a time right before the freeze?