Re: debian freezing

Am 17.10.2022 um 13:05 schrieb Pierre Frenkiel:
> Since I installed Debian11, it happens from time to time (generally when
> I leave the system unattended), that everything freezes:
>
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> I found on several blogs some silly recommendations, involving typing
> something. I say "silly" because in that case in I can't do anything:
>
> neither with the keyboard nor the mouse
>
> when I say "frozen" it means "frozen" (may-be "dead" would be a better
> word, as the computer doesn't answer to ping)
>
> and the only thing I can do is reboot, being after that obliged to
> re-install.
>
> I tried running the screensaver,but the problem remained.
>
> Has anybody a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards
>
> Pierre Frenkiel

Hello Pierre,
your description might feel correct, from the user perspective. But it
is lacking valuable information. I am not a guru (only second year at
using debian), but i am surprised that you feel the urge to reinstall
each time. That removes the traces of the previous problem, which can
quite likely be found in the system logfiles.

So i suggest, you explain a little, why you want to reinstall instead of
just rebooting and logging in, when you would be able to inspect the
system a little further.

As i began with my new computer, i had similar problems. It was somewhat
better after i installed from a DVD with nonfree firmware included. Only
after several months, i discoverd a bad setting in computer setup (BIOS)
that was configured by the vendor for the purpose of making Windows
users happy, was causing MY problems.

What may be your problem could be anything from hard- to software, but i
suggest you have a look at /var/log/syslog and at dmesg while your
computer is running fine. And let us know, what you found.