Re: Apt upgrade problem

On Sun 16 Oct 2022 at 23:44:00 (+0100), Mark Fletcher wrote:

> Tonight I am seeing a behaviour pattern in my Debian Bullseye system that I
> have not seen before.
>
> After "sudo apt update", the system informs me there is 1 package that can
> be upgraded.
>
> "sudo apt upgrade" reports nothing to do, 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly
> installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded...
>
> "apt list --upgradable" shows a new version of the Amazon Workspaces
> client, version 4.3.0.1766. It also shows that there is one more version
> available.
>
> "apt list -a --upgradable" shows:
>
> Listing... Done
> workspacesclient/unknown 4.3.0.1766 amd64 [upgradable from: 4.2.0.1665]
> workspacesclient/now 4.2.0.1665 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 4.3.0.1766]
>
> "sudo apt install" reports:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
>
> System doesn't seem to want to install the new version of the Amazon
> workspaces client. I'm assuming some dependency not known to the system is
> needed for the new version. However I also note the /unknown after the
> package name in the new version, which is /now in the current version. I am
> not sure what that is, but presumably /unknown isn't good... Can anyone
> suggest an approach to investigate why this upgrade won't happen?
>
> In case important, Amazon workspaces client is included in my package list
> by "amazon-workspaces-clients.list" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ :
>
> deb [arch=amd64] https://d3nt0h4h6pmmc4.cloudfront.net/ubuntu bionic main
>
> That comes from the install instructions page of the Amazon Workspaces
> client. It did occur to me that perhaps the new version needs some
> additional repository, so I went back and checked but the installation
> instructions have not changed, so it seems not.

AFAIK the   apt list   command is only examining your lists that you
updated, whereas   apt install   is looking for the package itself.

So, apart from just trying again later, I would check if the package
is actually in the archive mirror you're using (or any other).
I don't think it would be the first time that a package's existence
is glimpsed in the lists before it actually gets transferred into
a particular mirror.

(I don't know anything about the ubuntu archives and that reference.)

Cheers,
David.