Re: Cheap NAS

On 17/10/22 9:32 am, Stefan Monnier wrote:
paulf@quillandmouse.com [2022-10-16 14:22:16] wrote:
Pi's don't have SATA.
Depends on the flavor.  Banana Pi and Orange Pi mini definitely do.
[ But not a very good one, admittedly.  And their power infrastructure
   tends to be overwhelmed when you connect a spinning rust drive (I've
   had to try various power adapters and power cables before the setup
   was reliable enough).  ]

I run a very competent NanoPi M4V2 based on Rockchip 3399 SOC. It supports 2 x NVME  PCI-e drives and/or 4 x SATA drives, plus several USB-3 drives

It's more than fast enough to saturate its Gigabit LAN with data in NAS configuration. It also has built in Wifi.

The M4V2 at around $100 US is a lot cheaper than the chassis, power supply, and 4 x drives required to make up the rest of a conventional NAS. However NVME PCI-e  is an option. For reference, a 1TB M4V2 server on a NVME PCI-e drive will be under $250 US - depending on the current price of drives.

I run my M4V2 using a single NVME PCI-e drive and it acts as mail and web server and provides SAMBA services. It would be possible to go to the 4 x SATA drive configuration, but 1 TB of very reliable NVME PCI-e flash seems sufficient for my needs. The whole thing (1TB server) is about the size of a thick paperback book and sits on a shelf without air conditioning - even through my Australian summers.

I use Armbian on it, but there are a variety of operating systems available (including Debian?)

--
Jeremy