Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

On Thu, 2022-10-13 at 17:02 +0200, Mario Marietto wrote:
> If I remove the argument APPEND,the only other chance that I have to pass
> the preseed file is to add it inside the initrd file.

What effect do we think the word 'APPEND' below is having in the grub
config file?

  menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux Custom (kernel 5.10.0-18-amd64)" {
     linux /d-i/gtk/vmlinuz APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg auto=true initrd=/live/initrd.gz boot=live components locales=en_US.UTF-8 quiet splash "${loopback}"
     initrd /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz

I beleive Thomas (and me) think that 'APPEND' is the first argument on
the command-line passed to the linux kernel when it boots, and that
there isn't anything that will parse and act on that.

The second argument is "file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg" and presumably
there is something running after the kernel boots that will act on
that.

Thomas was saying that the word "APPEND" looks superfluous and seems to
have been copied from an example config file for ISOLINUX, not Grub.
Looking at the wiki for ISOLINUX config [1], the "APPEND" command will
append the arguments to the kernel command-line.

[1] https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Directives/append

--
Tixy