Re: MUD

On 2022-10-13 08:03, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 08:57:28AM -0300, Eike Lantzsch KY4PZ wrote:
>> On Donnerstag, 13. Oktober 2022 00:08:35 -03 Maude Summerside wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Is there so user of the mailing list who operate or have interest in
>>> MUD style services ? Or even who have some knowledge of solutions
>>> using Unix/Linux based BBS ?
>>>
>>> I'd like to setup such service.
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I'm afraid I can't help here because I know what a BBS is but cannot for
 the life of me
>> decipher MUD.
>
> Originally, Multi-User Dungeon.
Exactly what I'm talking about

> http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/M/MUD.html
>
> The one that I saw was set up as a sort of user-extensible text adventure
> setting.  I don't know how they've evolved since then.

Haven't changed much, except maybe some bugfix.
Tinymux (as in the eponym Debian package), a MuSH derivative seems to be
still in used for the MUDs I've seen in the open.

So be it called a BBS or another version called a MUD, I'm looking for
people who have interest or experience in such system.

I've found out that WWIV got ported to POSIX compatible OS and now runs
completely under Linux, same goes for Synchronet BBS.

There's Mystic BBS but didn't find source code.
And there's the closed source BBBS (made in Finland).

If someone still have some DOS doors laying around, those could be cool
to setup too. I've checked out the manuals and it's not so hard.

So this is a open request to anyone who'd like to cooperate on this
project or just share ideas.

I'm also planning to build packages for all the software needed and made
them Debian Policy compliant if possible. For sure software like BBS
doors that are still copyrighted to original authors and not release in
the "free world" is not included here. I'm talking mostly about the
server software needed.

Thanks to all

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside