Re: bindfs for web docroot - is this sane?

On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 04:09:41PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 12/10/22 00:26, Dan Ritter wrote:

[...]

> > The better solution is to use a versioning system -- git is the
> > default these days [...]

> I agree that a git-based deployment scheme would be good. However, I
> understand that it's considered bad practice for the docroot to itself be a
> git repo, which means writing scripts to check out the right version and
> then deploy it (which might also help with setting the right permissions).

I think this is the wrong answer, too. Git is for developers, and as far
as I understood Richard, the web server has to have write access to parts
of the doc tree, on behalf of the users "out there" [1], and Richard wants
a bit more of control over that. Barring some web site software using git
as their backend, git seems the wrong "solution" for that.

Cheers

[1] PHP, sigh.