Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

Hi,

Mario Marietto wrote:
> I've replied on the ubuntuforums.

The deficiency of your run in
  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2479825&p=14115075#post14115075
is that you did not give the options for creating EFI boot lures.
Your VM states to have OVMF as firmware.

> I have also tried this version :
> xorriso \
>    -outdev debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso \
>    -volid d-live \
>    -padding 0 \
>    -map /home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/ISO/iso_unpacked_and_modified /
> \
>    -chmod 0755 / -- \
>    -boot_image isolinux dir=/isolinux \
>    -boot_image isolinux
> system_area=/home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/ISO/isohdpfx.bin \
>    -boot_image any next \
>    -boot_image any efi_path=boot/grub/efi.img \
>    -boot_image isolinux partition_entry=gpt_basdat
>
> this didn't even work :
>  xorriso : FAILURE : Cannot find in ISO image: -boot_image ...
>  bin_path='/isolinux/isolinux.bin'

It looks like the extracted file tree .../iso_unpacked_and_modified is not
complete. There should be a file
  /home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/ISO/iso_unpacked_and_modified/isolinux/isolinux.bin
which is supposed to get into the emerging ISO as file
  /isolinux/isolinux.bin

Elsewise this run would be sufficient for creating an EFI bootable ISO.
It uses xorriso's native commands rather than the options of its mkisofs
emulation.

I just tested it with the extracted files of a Debian netinst ISO.
Like my proposal at ubuntuforums.org this yields an ISO with EFI boot lures:

  $ xorriso -indev "$new_iso" -report_system_area plain -report_el_torito plain
  System area summary: MBR isohybrid cyl-align-on GPT
  MBR partition table:   N Status  Type        Start       Blocks
  MBR partition      :   1   0x80  0x00            0       884736
  MBR partition      :   2   0x00  0xef         2260         5184
  MBR partition path :   2  /boot/grub/efi.img
  El Torito images   :   N  Pltf  B   Emul  Ld_seg  Hdpt  Ldsiz         LBA
  El Torito boot img :   1  BIOS  y   none  0x0000  0x00      4        1861
  El Torito boot img :   2  UEFI  y   none  0x0000  0x00   5184         565
  El Torito img path :   1  /isolinux/isolinux.bin
  El Torito img opts :   1  boot-info-table isohybrid-suitable
  El Torito img path :   2  /boot/grub/efi.img

MBR partition 2 is the EFI System Partition for booting from USB stick.
El Torito boot image 2 is the same storage area advertised as boot
opportunity for EFI from CD-ROM.

> (on the experiment n.2 I have extracted the files with Ark,but the error is
> still there)

This looks like your report at ubuntuforums.

As stated above, it lacks the options for creating EFI boot lures.
But the tree "$new_files" contains the file /isolinux/isolinux.bin, so
that this run does not fail when trying to find that file in the emerging
ISO.

My proposal at ubuntuforums.org is

  xorriso -as mkisofs \
    -r -J --joliet-long \
    -V 'Debian' \
    -o "$new_iso" \
    -isohybrid-mbr "$mbr_template" \
    -partition_offset 16 \
    -c isolinux/boot.cat \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
    -eltorito-alt-boot \
    -e boot/grub/efi.img \
    -no-emul-boot -isohybrid-gpt-basdat -isohybrid-apm-hfsplus \
    $new_files

Have a nice day :)

Thomas