Re: nginx.conf woes

On 3/10/22 02:07, Patrick Kirk wrote:
Hi all,

I have 2 sites to run from one server.  Both are based on ASP.Net Core. Both have SSL certs from letsencrypt.  One works perfectly.  The other sort of works.

Firstly, I notice that cleardragon.com and kirks.net resolve to different addresses, though maybe cloudflare forwards kirks.net to the same place. But the setups are different.

Or maybe you're using a different dns or other system to reach your pre-production system.

If I go to http://localhost:5100 by redirecting to https://localhost:5101 and then it warns of an invalid certificate.

I'm a bit unclear on this - I guess these are both the upstreams? The upstream (ASP thing?) also redirects http to https?

Is nginx supposed to handle its upstream redirecting it to https?

Anyway, the invalid cert is expected, because you presumably don't have a cert for 'localhost'.

If I try lynx http://cleardragon.com a similar redirect takes place and I get a "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host" error and lynx closes down.

I see a website, but then again, maybe I'm looking at the production site and you're not.

This redirect is presumably the one in your nginx config, rather than the one done by the upstream.

Does connecting explicitly to https://cleardragon.com also fail?

When I do sudo tail -f /var/log/nginx/error.log I see: 2022/10/02 12:44:22 [notice] 1624399#1624399: signal process started

I don't know about this - lots of people report it, but I don't see answers. But it's a notice rather than an error.

Cheers,
Richard