Re: changing uuid of mdadm array

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022, Lucas Castro wrote:

Every time you remove a device from raid, you indeed need to erase the superblock.

mdadm use the superblock to identify its raid members,

if you try to add a device to a raid block it'll fail because the device already contain a superblock identify at its 'header'. --zero-superblock it's the right way add to anothor md array.

FTAOD, I'm not trying to add a device to an array, I'm trying to change
the uuid on an array.

Following the mdadm manual instruction

"

????? The? uuid? option will change the uuid of the array.? If a UUID is given with the --uuid option that UUID

????? will be used as a new UUID and will NOT be used to help identify the devices in the array.? If no --uuid is given, a random UUID is chosen.

"

The --update=uuid, in my conception will update 'array' uuid, for that means will change the uuid of all of the array members, not the removed ones.

but define 'array members'? The array is stopped, are they array
members? It's now started using that --update=uuid option, what uuid
should the array have? A new one or the one the members had recorded in
their superblock when it was stopped?