Re: ssh -X authentication with sudo

On 2022-10-05 at 11:21, debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:

>> On 2022-10-05 at 10:48, debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:

>>> Perhaps you could explain why the debian manpage specifically
>>> says it must be run as root then?
>>
>> What is "it" here? That is, what is the specific program to whose
>> man page you're referring? (Identifying the exact man page would
>> probably be best, for that purpose.)
>
> Perhaps you should read the thread since I already posted its
> invocation.

Looking all the way back at the original post which started the thread,
I find a single mention of 'linssid', in a dense block of other lines.

I had, indeed, missed that. (Although I have, in fact, read every
message posted thus far in the thread.)

The man page I'm finding (online, since I don't have the package
installed and don't care to install it just to check this) does discuss
running the program as root via xhost - but only as a fallback from
running it via gksudo as a more ordinary user.

There's a distinction between running as root and running with root
access, but it may not be an important one for this purpose.

Graphical programs which need to be run with root access are
comparatively rare, and may arguably be poorly designed, but this does
appear to be one of them. I'd wonder whether making the program suid
root could also be a viable option, but that might just bring in the
worst of both worlds, so it might not be worth pursuing.

--
   The Wanderer