Re: ssh -X authentication with sudo

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 12:31:23PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> I have a machine running debian that I access using ssh. I use the -X
> with ssh and can successfully run e.g. xeyes on the debian machine
> showing the display on my local machine. But now I want to run a
> graphical program that needs to run as root on the debian machine
> while displaying on my local machine.

Change the sshd_config to allow direct root logins.

Then do ssh -X root@debian.box.

If you're the paranoid type, or if the Debian system is exposed to the
public Internet, then make sure you only permit root logins when using
pubkey authentication, not password.  Then set up an RSA pubkey for your
direct root login.