Re: ssh -X authentication with sudo

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 10:30:37AM +0100, debian-user@howorth.org.uk
> wrote:
> > > Regarding the following, written by "debian-user@howorth.org.uk"
> > > on 2022-10-04 at 13:52 Uhr +0100:
> > >
> > > But you are running GUIs as root??
> >
> > Yes, I am running a GUI as root. It won't run as normal user.
>
> You seem to have missed the implied criticism and/or incredulity.
> Hint: look at the double question mark.

Sorry, must have missed the memo that made an apparently-typo-ed double
question mark into an emoticon.

> Your clinging to the ridiculous superstition that "direct root access
> with a pubkey on a LAN is bad, but sudo is good" while simultaneously
> running admin GUIs as root (which is *demonstrably* a bad idea) is
> unfortunate, but sadly common.

If you want to persuade me to lose such a ridiculous superstition, then
providing a link to some educational source that supports your
assertion would be helpful.

> Switching to ssh -X root@ with a pubkey would actually *improve* your
> security, not that you really need a lot of security on your home LAN.
>
> Of course that still leaves you running GUI admin programs as root,
> which is something you'll have to wean yourself from at your own pace.

Perhaps you could explain why the debian manpage specifically says it
must be run as root then?