Re: How to configure (aka deal with) /tmp in the best way?

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 02:07:17PM +0100, Tixy wrote:
I seem to remember many releases ago playing with this, and there was a
config file to set /tmp to tmpfs. A quick google leads me to to look at
'man tmpfs' which says:

/tmp  Previously configured using RAMTMP in /etc/default/rcS. Note that the
     setting in /etc/default/rcS, if present, will still be used, but the
     setting in /etc/default/tmpfs will take precedence if enabled.
     Configured using RAMTMP, TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE. If desired, the
     defaults may also be overridden with an entry in in /etc/fstab, for
     example:

I also found a 10 year old debian-devel post [1] where it looks like
Debian we're thinking of making /tmp be in RAM by default. (I though it
was at some point, but could well be mistaken).

I don't think it was ever the default, but it was certainly more popular. There were performance advantages with that config (which have mostly gone away for various reasons) but the downsides tended to have more practical impact (e.g., large files dumped in /tmp fill it up).