Re: How to configure (aka deal with) /tmp in the best way?

On Wed, 2022-10-05 at 15:52 +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:
> DdB <debianlist@potentially-spam.de-bruyn.de> writes:
>
> > How are the more experienced people among you handle /tmp ?
> > Could i just benefit from your experience?
>
> I leave /tmp as is or if I see a benefit for the system, then I put
> something like this in /etc/fstab:
>
> none           /tmp         tmpfs   defaults,size=55%  0 0
>
> The 55% is just legacy from an old system where I needed that. I keep it
> there as a reference in case I need to adjust it.
>
> BTW, none of my Debian systems have ever mounted tmpfs on /tmp by
> default. Why it happens on your system you'll have to figure out
> yourself.

I seem to remember many releases ago playing with this, and there was a
config file to set /tmp to tmpfs. A quick google leads me to to look at
'man tmpfs' which says:

/tmp  Previously configured using RAMTMP in /etc/default/rcS. Note that the
      setting in /etc/default/rcS, if present, will still be used, but the
      setting in /etc/default/tmpfs will take precedence if enabled.
      Configured using RAMTMP, TMPFS_SIZE and TMP_SIZE. If desired, the
      defaults may also be overridden with an entry in in /etc/fstab, for
      example:

I also found a 10 year old debian-devel post [1] where it looks like
Debian we're thinking of making /tmp be in RAM by default. (I though it
was at some point, but could well be mistaken).

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00311.html

--
Tixy