Re: ssh -X authentication with sudo

On 2022-10-05 at 05:30, debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:

>> Regarding the following, written by "debian-user@howorth.org.uk"
>> on 2022-10-04 at 13:52 Uhr +0100:
>>
>>> PS as you surmised, I don't really want root ssh access.
>>
>> But you are running GUIs as root??
>
> Yes, I am running a GUI as root. It won't run as normal user.

Is this a matter of logging in via the text-mode console and then
running 'startx', and getting errors from that when not root?

There are ways around that, involving the xserver-xorg-legacy package,
and possibly a couple of local configuration changes. I have had my last
few Debian systems set up with that package and the needed changes, and
I routinely run startx from the console as a non-root user and have
things work.

It's been long enough that I don't remember what the needed changes
*are*, if indeed there are any beyond just installing that package - but
I can assure you that if this is the approach you're taking, running X
as non-root is indeed possible.

--
   The Wanderer