Re: Can't open email attachments with Firefox 102.3.0 esr

On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 at 20:35, Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-10-05 at 10:09 +0100, Mick Ab wrote:

> > A few days ago Debian 11 was updated. As part of that update
> > Firefox was updated to Firefox 102.3.0 esr (64 bit).
> >
> > It has subsequently been found that this version of Firefox does not allow
> > email attachments to be opened.
>
> Firefox is a web browser, not an email program, so I assume you mean
> mean downloading files from a web page (in this case, one which you use
> to access your email).
>
> > Clicking on such an attachment used to always open a dialogue
> > box which had options "Open with..." and "Save...." but now it just jumps
> > straight to a Download box with a list of folders to download to.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced the above problem ?
> >
> > Can anyone please suggest a way to get round the above problem
> > and allow email attachments to be opened rather than downloaded ?
>
> Have you checking the Firefox settings, in the 'General' section there
> are options for what you want Firefox to do when downloading files.
>
> You can select what to do with specific file types, and there's a
> default setting for other file types, under the heading "What should
> Firefox do with other files?"

I confirm seeing a similar but opposite behaviour change and solution.

In general, I want Firefox to download files, not open them.

After the recent upgrade, I experienced that this behaviour changed
when handling attached files in a webmail client (roundcube).

To restore downloads I had to go to 'about:preferences'
(aka Settings > Files and Applications > Applications)

Where there is a table with headings 'Content Type' and 'Action',
and I had to change several rows to Action='Save File' to restore
behaviour similar, but not the same as, previous. Depending on
the filetype of the attachment.

So Mick might need look through all the different content-types in
the table and make appropriate changes, as well as considering
trying the "other files" setting.