Re: firmware-iwlwifi

On Mon 03 Oct 2022 at 13:27:13 (-0600), Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 20:53:46 +0300 Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
>
> > Actually I think I found out what was happening:
> >    - for failed connection attempts trough SSH - the notebook
> > sometimes switches to suspend/sleep mode and turns off its WiFi card
> > and it takes time WiFi connection to become active again
>
> This sounds reasonable. Suspend likely shuts off the wifi receiver, and
> upon ending the system may take a while to bring it back up.

I'm not sure I understand how, if the wifi receiver is turned off,
the laptop receives any packets that are intended to (incidentally)
turn it back on and connect to it.

I don't have much experience with sleep states. When my laptop is bone
idle (open, screen blanked, kbd unlit, no logins, on battery), iwd
still scans the wifi every minute, and ping returns are still instant.
I presume this is the state known as S0.

When I close the lid, it sleeps (I presume it's S3 as there's no swap;
much activity occurs, and is logged, when the lid is reopened). Ping
gets no replies.

S1 and S2 are the mystery ones for me, as I have no idea how to
enter/leave them. I suspect they may be the states where people post
about their (non-builtin) keyboards and mice not waking them up.

> I wonder why it's going into suspend mode; perhaps it is doing so
> unnecessarily.

Is this perhaps something that DEs do, along with screensavers and
screen locking. (I don't know whether the OP installs one; I don't.
Perhaps that's why I've not encountered S1/S2.)

Cheers,
David.