Re: update-initramfs outside of /boot

> Le 01/10/2022 à 18:25, Felix Miata a écrit :
> > Erwan David composed on 2022-10-01 16:21 (UTC+0200):
> >
> >> My /boot is 235 MB (from deb 10 installer), however in testing I
> >> now have 56MB initramfs files and update-initramfs cannot work for
> >> the 3rd kernel to install (and apt autoremove keeps 2 kernels,
> >> thus at upgrade there are temporarily 3 kernels).
> >> I see that all the files of the initramfs are put in /boot before
> >> creating the compressed image, thus the need for place. Is there a
> >> way to cofigure update-initrams so that the creation of the im age
> >> is done in another filesystem before instalation in /boot ?
> > Alternative options:
> >
> > 1-Move the oldest kernel files to another filesystem, or
> > everything, from /boot. You don't need them there until time to
> > reboot.
> >
> > 2-You're not forced to keep two kernels. Remove the non-running one
> > manually.
> >
> > 3-As Stefan already suggested, MODULES=dep. It's routine here. Big
> > initrds take more time to load, which can be quite noticeable on
> > old hardware.
> >
> > 4-Is your /boot adjacent to your swap? If yes, easily recreate
> > both, with smaller swap, larger /boot. Don't forget to adjust fstab
> > for UUID change of swap, or apply the one from fstab on the new.
>

> My /boot is next to an encrypted lvm containing te rest of the disk.
> I fear resizing /boot would require a reinstall, I'll set modules=dep

If you happen to have extra disk space somewhere else, you could
migrate your LVM to the spare disk, then shrink the 'real' LVM and move
it to leave space adjacent to /boot, which you could then extend.
Finally, migrate the LVM contents back (or copy them piecemeal, I don't
know exactly what is possible). Whether that is simpler than a
reinstallation will depend on your circumstances.