Re: odbc_config missing

Hi, David,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 1:40 PM David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed 20 Jul 2022 at 12:41:03 (-0500), Igor Korot wrote:

> >From a position of almost complete ignorance, I would have thought
> that the software you're trying to configure is odbc, and that it
> happens to be a unixodbc implementation that's packaged as unixodbc.
>
> Package: unixodbc
> Description-md5: dbef25e3cf8e980a394982ef6927a9ca
> Description-en: Basic ODBC tools
>  UnixODBC is an implementation of the Open Database Connectivity standard,
>  a database abstraction layer that allows applications to be used with
>  many different relational databases by way of a single library.
>  .
>  This package contains isql, a command-line tool that allows SQL commands
>  to be entered interactively.
>
> Package: unixodbc-dev
> Description-md5: 810ff6350f7d3725bcea408feaf73610
> Description-en: ODBC libraries for UNIX (development files)
>  This package contains the development files (headers and libraries) for
>  unixODBC, an implementation of the Open DataBase Connectivity interface
>  for Unix systems.  You should not need to install this package unless
>  you intend to develop C language applications which use ODBC, or to
>  compile ODBC-using applications from source.

> > > apt install unixodbc-dev
> >
> > It is installed and its the latest version...
>
> BTW you could be a bit more forthcoming about what you've consulted,
> what you've done, and what output you get. Writing "got an error about
> it" and "it fails" doesn't exactly show that you're putting the work in.

This sentence from the OP:

[quote]
I just tried to compile my program and got an error about it.
[/quote]

shows what I'm doing (it doesn't reference unixODBC at all, does it?)
and the issue I'm facing.

Yes, it is about unixODBC that Debian neglects to install completely
and therefore people who want to build and run their software
on have problems with.

BTW, PostgreSQL configuration script and mySQL configuration script
are both installed and work fine. My program depends on all 3 and only unixODBC
fails.

Thank you.