Re: OT, Recommendation for low cost laptop

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022, at 1:59 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> On Sun Jul 17 09:16:57 2022 Dekks Herton <dekkzz78@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> writes:
>  >
>  >> I'm comtemplating buying a Pinebook pro but I'm not sure if this is
>  >> better then buying a Windows laptop and putting linux on it.
>  >>
>  >> I'm looking for something cheap (max would be around 300 bucks),
>  >> do you have any suggestions/ideas?
>  >
>  > 2nd hand Thinkpad off ebay, craigslist etc, likely easy to upgrade and
>  > certainly straightforward to install linux.
>
> Another place to look is your local laptop store.  My current laptop,
> as well as its predecessor, are refurbished ThinkPads I bought there
> for about $300.  They run Linux just fine.

Or ask your neighbors.  Due to Covid, a lot of people are replacing their Windows or Mac machines so they can run Zoom and other "community building while isolated" apps.  Most of them don't bother with looking for a good trade-in deal, and have the old computer lying around doing nothing.  If you let it be known that you will take it of their hands, upgrade it to run modern software (like Linux) and make it available to charities in the area, often they will donate it to you for free.

Anyway, that's how I do it...
Rick