Re: OT, Recommendation for low cost laptop

"Rick Thomas" <rick.thomas@pobox.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2022, at 1:59 PM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
>> On Sun Jul 17 09:16:57 2022 Dekks Herton <dekkzz78@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> writes:
>>  >
>>  >> I'm comtemplating buying a Pinebook pro but I'm not sure if this is
>>  >> better then buying a Windows laptop and putting linux on it.
>>  >>
>>  >> I'm looking for something cheap (max would be around 300 bucks),
>>  >> do you have any suggestions/ideas?
>>  >
>>  > 2nd hand Thinkpad off ebay, craigslist etc, likely easy to upgrade and
>>  > certainly straightforward to install linux.
>>
>> Another place to look is your local laptop store.  My current laptop,
>> as well as its predecessor, are refurbished ThinkPads I bought there
>> for about $300.  They run Linux just fine.
>
> Or ask your neighbors.  Due to Covid, a lot of people are replacing
> their Windows or Mac machines so they can run Zoom and other
> "community building while isolated" apps.  Most of them don't bother
> with looking for a good trade-in deal, and have the old computer lying
> around doing nothing.  If you let it be known that you will take it of
> their hands, upgrade it to run modern software (like Linux) and make
> it available to charities in the area, often they will donate it to
> you for free.

Another good use is kids going to college/uni who are often peer
pressured into buying macs which if damaged really get expensive. I've
several friends kids running 4 or 5 year old Thinkpads that have
survived the rough n tumble of uni that cost less than 50% of a new
machine.

Regards.....