Re: cups broken

On Thu 14 Jul 2022, at 02:08, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> it printed a test page

Good.  I'm afraid I don't know of a workaround for tray selection.

This site

https://productz.com/en/brother-mfc-j6920dw/p/LZbAV

suggests the printer concerned is airprint/fax-capable, and given:

> On Wed 13 Jul 2022, at 18:21, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
>
> using the everywhere default, the printer goes busy for about the time the
> print job should take, 20 minutes or so, never moves any thing looking for
> paper, and at the end of the receiving data time, reverts to its idle screen.

I suspect this is the third case we've seen of what seems to be a fax+driverless printing bug in cups.

As well as

$ lpadmin [...] everywhere

"IPP Eveywhere" printers/queues added via cups web interface (localhost:631) also seem to work.

I have reported the problem upstream after help from the Debian printing team, but no  response from upstream yet.

Best wishes,
Gareth