Re: cups broken

On 7/13/22 18:25, Gareth Evans wrote:
On 13 Jul 2022, at 22:04, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
On 7/13/22 15:15, Gareth Evans wrote:
[...]
Out of interest, which model printer(s) has the issue?
Brother MFC-J6920DW A huge tabloid capable printer/scanner
# lpinfo -v
first off, none of that stuff is available to the user unless he has hacked his $PATH
You only have to do this once as root/sudo to set up the queue

QUEUENAME is whatever you want to call the printer queue.

So, eg:

# lpadmin -p J6920 -v  ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/  -E -m everywhere

Before and after you execute the above, what is output of:

$ driverless

before (after deleting it) ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/
and after running that cmd:ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/
?
it printed a test page, but when I checked the options and changed it to bottom, and took the 1/4" of paper out of the top tray, its now asking for paper in tray #1. So it took
a sheet out of the top tray to do the test page.
Adding an everywhere queue via lpadmin may fix this:

using the everywhere default, the printer goes
busy for about the time the print job should take, 20 minutes or so, never moves any
thing looking for paper, and at the end of the receiving data time, reverts to its idle screen.
but it will be interesting to see about the tray selection issue.
That is not working so I've put copy paper in the top tray and will try to print that web page I need. It turned out the color images were being blocked by FF's pop-up blocker. Bondtech thinks they are being cute I guess.  And the speed was about normal. But that 41 pages is just the beginning, now I have to find the page that shows me how to put it
back together with the new, different, parts.

Thanks Gareth, Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis