Re: nft newbie

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 10:09:46AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On 7/12/22 05:36, Gareth Evans wrote:
> > On Tue 12 Jul 2022, at 10:19, Maximiliano Estudies <maxiestudies@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > Why is it best practice?  Is there any security advantage over rejection?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gareth
> >
> Absolutely. reject sends a msg back to the hacker that there is a machine
> at that address.
> drop sends nothing back so he'll go looking for an easier target

All generalizations suck.

It depends strongly on what you expect on the other side. For a
firewall/router with one side exposed to the internet and with
well-defined services, drop seems (mostly) appropriate.

If you're running a publically accessible web server on that,
"they" already know you're there, so drop is of limited use
(reject is arguably "slightly" worse, dunno).

But the total opposite can be true. I've seen a datacenter isolating
their database server from the web application server with an NAT
firewall, and those umm... experts had the default policy to "drop".

What happened was, that when the entry in the NAT table expired,
because of inactivity, the application server took HALF AN HOUR
to notice that the connection was gone. It sat there twiddling
its thumbs (which isn't that bad), its about-thirty-users couldn't
do anything (which /is/ bad, esp. if it's a newspaper and those
people are the writers and the deadline is coming).

The data center wouldn't change its setup. The application provider
used a too-old Perl version where you couldn't call setsockopts to
set the keepalive option. And I couldn't get my boss's boss to
YELL at both of them because he was too... far up in the hierarchy
to understand a bit of that mess. OTOH, that company would have
deserved to go under in flames for its incompetence. Alas, it
didn't.

So yes, it depends.

Cheers