Re: nft newbie

On 7/7/22 10:13, Tom Browder wrote:
On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 7:17 PM Will Mengarini <seldon@eskimo.com> wrote:
* gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> [22-07/06=We 18:50 -0400]:
[...] iptables is out of support, replaced I
guess with nft.  [...] whats the command to [...]
The nft is too complicated. UFW works great and is so easy.

-Tom

.
People said that about iptables too, but once you understood how it worked, you could block all of a given outfits possible bot addresses with one /8 or /16, in one case a /24. If that denies one of their legit customers too, I usually told them to fuss at their isp as it was not respecting my robots.txt. Now we've a new name in bots we'll have to train. Look at your access logs, it'll
stick out like a sore thumb.

But now I need to create another robots.txt. The worst part of that is the stubborn ones will scan for subdirs that don't have a robots.txt and will bypass the www/root so you need a robots.txt in
every dir. That ability I blame on apache2.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis