Re: Converting an old Chromebook to pure Debian, was: OT, Recommendation for low cost laptop

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 7:36 AM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On 11/07/2022 08:32, john doe wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for something cheap (max would be around 300 bucks), do you
> > have any suggestions/ideas?
>

> My local Cash-Converter/Generator(s) have plenty of old-ish Chromebooks for
> £50 or less.
>
> I know it's possible to run some sort of Linux with trickeries like Crouton
> or similar. I wonder if it's just possible to nuke all Google related junk
> and install native Debian or is it not technically possible?

ChromeOS has support to run Debian 10 Apps. They are installed using apt just like a standard debian install.

On some of them, yes. The process is to flash a new BIOS, after
which the Chromebook is just a laptop.

https://github.com/MrChromebox/SeaBIOS

I don't recommend this approach for general use machines: chromebooks
are generally sold with tiny flash disks, often unreplaceable. A 16 or
32GB flash disk will limit you severely.

As a limited use machine, though, it shouldn't be bad.

-dsr-

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/