Re: Does Debian supports backticks in the Makefile?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 02:20:18PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i wrote:
> > > It appears that an argument -I is missing before /usr/include/postgresql.
>
> > This is a very good theory.
>
> Together with Greg Wooledge's observation that "make"'s macro definition
> does not interpret `...` as output of shell commands we already have
> two reasons why that part of the Makefile should not work.
>
> The riddle grows why it appears to work on Gentoo.

You're misunderstanding my conclusions.  The backticks *do* work in the
end, since they're passed through to the shell, and the shell interprets
them the way the OP seems to want.

The missing -I is probably it.  It's interesting that pkg-config --cflags
and pg_config --includedir deviate in this way.